Apr 25, 2009

Yooouk! and irony

After the Phillies finished their victory last night, but before Jason Bay cemented himself in Red Sox-Yankees lore, Christine teased me, "Maybe you'll have a 9th inning comeback, too."

"Yeah, right," I grumbled because I didn't get the feeling that Mariano Rivera was due for one of his Boston implosions.

-----

Earlier in the day I told my boss, a Red Sox fan, to not get overly excited or dejected because of an early season series. "We're not the Yankees," I said. "Our important games are played in October, not April."

-----

In the 11th, the Yankees were shut down on a beautiful play by Kevin Youkilis, who nailed the lead runner on a sacrifice bunt attempt. That preserved the double play, which Dustin Pedroia took advantage of to end the inning.

Christine predicted neither would be involved in the winning run ... walk-off homer Youkilis. What a game.

No comments: