Jan 3, 2009

Roger Clemens racing

I didn't intend on this being Roger Clemens week, but the holiday has given me time to do some short essay writing. Here's one from my Cub Scout days:

A definite highlight of Cub Scouts was the Pinewood Derby. Dad would install the weights and carve the car, and I would paint it and stick the numbers on the back in hopes my little piece of wood would roll down a ramp faster than anyone else's.

I competed twice. The first time was with a black car with flames on it. It had my initials, and I used No. 31 for Dave Winfield. I think I came in second place, and I got to compete at the regionals, where I was blown out of the water. Those guys were serious.

In year two, I didn't win anything. Maybe because the car was an homage to Roger Clemens - all red and blue with a big 21 on the hood and an "R" on the trunk.

That little speck in the middle? Dad was a little sloppy with this edition and used a screw that was too big to hold in the weights. That sucker is sharp. After I salvaged this from the attic, Christine couldn't believe they let me race with that sticking up.

I can't believe anyone would allow a little kid race with a car dedicated to Roger Clemens.

No comments: