Jan 23, 2009

Hands off the trophy, pee boy

I couldn't believe what I read this morning - the Phillies are getting impatient waiting for a decision from Nomar Garciaparra, so they are pursuing 42-year-old Moises Alou "pretty hard." I'm not thrilled with the prospects of the old and often injured Alou joining the team, but I can live with it if he accepts a very limited role and doesn't soil the World Series trophy with his pee hands.

Other fallbacks for the right-handed pinch-hitter role include former Red Sox Kevin Millar, Rich Aurilla and Mark Grudzielanek. I don't like any of these. Grudzielanek's not so bad, but I don't want to learn how to spell his name. Besides, it's not a good omen when just the other night Christine saw his name on the MLB ticker as a notable remaining free agent:

"I didn't know he was still playing, let alone a notable free agent," she said.

Bullpen: Tom Gordon wants to come back to the Phillies. The team said it ain't happening. Unfortunately, that same tidbit said one of Christine's favorites, fattie Mike Zagurski, had some snag in his recovery.

Another one bites the dust: Another reputable journalist, Todd Zolecki, has sold out and will be working for the institution he once covered:

Hi, everybody - Yes, I'm joining MLB.com next month. Fortunately, I'm not going
far because I'll still be covering the Phillies on a daily basis. It'll just be for a different company. I want to say thanks to everybody who checks out the Phillies Zone regularly. I think you know you have helped make this one of the top blogs at Philly.com. It's been an absolute blast. Don't worry, the Phillies Zone will continue. It'll just be somebody else at the helm. But like I said, I'm not going far. So feel free to stop by and say hello at my new address. And if you see me in Clearwater or at the ballpark during the season, make sure to say hello. I'll try to post something more later!
We'll miss reading him online at the Inky, but we're glad that he'll still be around and covering the Phils.

No comments: