Jan 19, 2009

Eagles postmortem

One Team. One City. One Dream.

That was the Eagles slogan a few years ago that completely ignored the city's three other major professional sports teams, as well as the not-so-major Soul that, like the Phillies, also beat the Iggles to a championship.

I mention because, thankfully, the Eagles were embarrassed yesterday in yet another NFC championship game. I feel bad for some of the crestfallen fans, but I was rooting hard against the team because an Eagles win would have diminished the Phillies championship. Yes, that's what happens with the Red Sox dwarfing the Patriots. I don't mind that because I'm a Red Sox fan who doesn't live in New England. But it's not right.

If you think I'm going overboard, check out the Jan. 19 Sports Illustrated story leading up to the Cardinals game. Shawn Andrews fantasized about stealing the Phillies' parade. He won't be seeing that vision anytime soon.

The other day I joked about Charlie Manuel scripting plays for Andy Reid. Maybe it's not such a joke. When Cholly was asked if he had any advice for Big Red, he said:

"I would tell Andy he's on his own. No, seriously, I don't have to give Andy Reid any advice. He's a tremendous coach, and I have a lot of respect for him."

Manuel was joking, but the Eagles did lose.

Back to the Philly sports team that matters: Ryan Madson did sign that three-year $12 million deal after all. And, apparently, J.C. Romero's infraction wasn't such a big deal to the World Baseball Classic; he's eligible to play in the series for Puerto Rico.

No comments: