Jan 13, 2009

I keep forgetting there's a season going on

Once again, I forgot about football - and that's not just because the Giants were embarrassed on Sunday. I'm OK with that, given last year's surprising run; I'm just more annoyed that the Eagles fans are back in force.

These hypocrites who nearly rode Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid out of town a few months ago have placed them back on a pedestal. Pretty high praise for a team that relied on wins from the Raiders and Texans just to qualify for the playoffs.

If I'm being a bit rough on the team that gallantly fought the Bengals to a tie, it's just because I know the Phillies are about to be forgotten in the minds of area sports fans. This town was a baseball town for a couple months, and now it's back to football. If the Eagles win it all, a realistic scenario, then it will be almost as if the Phillies championship didn't exist.

Recently, Phil Sheridan wrote that the Phillies championship relieved the Eagles of the pressure that might have contributed to their lack of Super Bowl championships.

I just don't want to hear E-A-G-L-E-S for the next month and then again at Citizens Bank Park in the summer.

{I don't recall any chants at the ballpark last year. If there were, only in the beginning of the season by a few people, who were quickly booed down. I doubt there will be any cheers this year either. Eagles will blow this, somehow. And we Phillies fans will be quietly happy. Flyers win? That's fine. Sixers? Good for them. Eagles - blah. They beat a New York team, so I wouldn't mind if football was over now.}

Predictions: I was 1-1 on Sunday; 3-5 for the playoffs. I'm picking the Eagles this weekend, not sure yet in the AFC.

{Last weekend, I rooted for the Birds, Birds, Birds, Chargers. Three out of four ain't bad. Eagles, just to drive Greg crazy. The other birds, well, it was just fun to say birds, birds, birds and annoy Greg some more.}

No comments: