Jan 12, 2009

Red Sox LFers dominate Hall of Fame vote

Congrats to Big Jim Ed Rice, who will join Rickey Henderson in Cooperstown this summer.

It was a long wait for Rice, all 15 years of eligibility, but it creates a nice pairing for the Hall of Fame class of 2009.

Put aside their similarities - both were dominant stars of the 1980s and patrolled left field at Fenway Park - Rice and Henderson also provide a nice contrast.

{Yes, in case you forgot - like Greg briefly did - Henderson was in Boston for the glorious 2002 season. And no, off the top of his head, Greg doesn't remember anything else that happened that season. Like how I also forgot that Henderson was a member of those awful 1993 Blue Jays.}

Henderson was the ultimate leadoff hitter who combined power with dominating speed and on-base skills; Rice was the big (for the time) slugger who excelled in powerful offense.

I just hope Rickey can keep up with Big Jim on the podium this summer. Rice seems to be outgoing, colorful and self-promoting while Rickey can be a little quiet. Nah, Rickey being Rickey would never let that happen.

My favorite story of the day comes not from Henderson, but from Rice. Apparently, the big guy loves his soaps. I would have loved it if he didn't take the call until his stories ended.

I'm sorry I don't have anything personal to add. I started rooting for the Red Sox in 1986 - Rice's last good year, so most of my memories, unfortunately, are of a washed-up slugger. I was living in Yankee territory when Rickey played in New York. To me, he was a symbol of the overhyped big-name Yankees who never won, but I also disliked him purely because he was so damned good.

[Photo credit: Boston Herald]

No comments: