Jan 17, 2009

Sign here

I'll conclude my latest series of stuff I salvaged from my parents' attic with some autographed mementos.

To the left is the most personal. It's on stationary I created in graphic arts class in middle school. I was neither a good poet nor artist. The awkward-looking Red Sox cap is actually quite good for my abilities. The writing - "I'm the number 1 fan of the Boston Red Sox clan!" - isn't.

The autographs are Jeff Reardon (long before he robbed a jewelry store) and Mike Greenwell. I met them when family friends invited me along to the Benevolent Loyal Order of Honorable and Ancient Red Sox Diehard Sufferers of New York luncheon. The BLOHARDS are a group of displaced Red Sox fans who get together when the Sox invade New York.

Usually, players or someone associated with the team addresses the crowd. I don't remember much from the speeches, only that I was certain to bring along the stationary. I don't think either commented on it.

In high school, a classmate's father, upon learning that I was a Red Sox fan, said he knew Dave Morehead, a subpar pitcher from the 1960s. But at the time - before Hideo Nomo, Derek Lowe, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester - he was the last Red Sox to pitch a no-hitter. He shut down Luis Tiant and the Indians 2-0 on Sept. 16.

I thought it was neat and kept the picture tucked in my bedroom mirror for several years.

Finally, and most embarrassing, is a pair of signatures I actually paid for outside of Fenway. One is a nice shot of the park, but it's muddied by the John Hancock of then-General Manager Dan Duquette.

The other was a shot of Aaron Sele, the guy I thought would take Roger Clemens' spot as ace of the staff.

Things didn't quite turn out as I expected, but Sele did have a pretty good career for the 23rd draft pick in 1991. He was much more productive than Brian Taylor, the huge bonus baby taken No. 1 by the Yankees who injured his arm in a bar fight and never made it to the majors.

The Phillies pick that year? Tyler Green - taken two slots ahead of Doug Glanville and three ahead of a certain third baseman named Manny Ramirez.

No comments: