Oct 26, 2008

Two more to go

We woke up tired but excited this morning. Christine is still sleeping as I write this, but she'll be up soon and I think I can speak for her on this one, after the Phillies crazy 5-4 Game 3 win that ended in the bottom of the 9th with a bases-loaded little dribbler to third. {Actually, I was awake when Greg was writing this. I lounged in bed for a bit, watching game highlights again on Comcast SportsNet. And maybe some 90210.}

I'll spare the details because I'm sure this game will be rehashed to death even though it's the all-important week eight of the NFL season.

Before Mitch Williams said it on the post-game show, and before the Phillies locked up this tenuous, rain-delayed, Saturday-into-Sunday game, I said that if the Phillies won Games 3 and 4, there's no way they'll lose Game 5 with Cole Hamels.

Before 2003, the Red Sox teams were always burdened by the pressure to end the drought. We see that burden with the Cubs. But the 2008 Phillies don't treat it like a burden; they see it as a responsibility to bring one home for the fans. And if they have the opportunity to win in front of their fans, they won't mess around with it.

So in some ways, the season rests with Joe Blanton tonight. Scary thought until Christine reminded me that they Phillies haven't lost in his two postseason starts. If that trend continues, there's a good chance we can watch a clincher Monday without having to hear Tim McCarver and Joe Buck prattle on about 24, marvel over Joe Maddon's hat and spew incorrect information, such as Citizens Bank Park is a homer haven, Carlos Ruiz is from Venezuela and how Carl Crawford's speed ignited the Rays two-run rally in the 7th when it was clear to everyone except the deaf and blind umpire that he should have been called out.

We'd also miss Harry Kalas' call, but I'm sure in a city starved for a championship, they might play that two or three million times in the offseason.

So it's up to Blanton: Win and this thing's probably done in five; lose and it becomes a three-game set for all the marbles.

By the way, have I mentioned my love for Verizon FIOS? It couldn't work miracles when TBS crapped out for the beginning of Game 6 in the ALCS, but at least it's not screwing up working broadcasts.

I did manage to catch nearly all the game. When the Rays switched pitchers in the 8th, I dozed during the commercial break and missed Chase Utley's strikeout and Jayson Werth stealing second and then getting picked off. I was up after that. Christine says she struggled around this time, but her displeasure with Utley's strikeout snapped her out of it.

Important update! 10:34 a.m.: I found the fishy song that was used to introduce the Rays! It's called Fishy Fishy Fishy by Sandi and Stevie. Here's a short clip. It's still undetermined whether this was played by the Fox broadcast or if this was played at the ballpark.

[Photo credit: Philadelphia Inquirer]

No comments: