Oct 24, 2008

State of the Series

It seems odd not to have a game to watch tonight. You'd think I'd have plenty to say, given the opportunity to write without having to rush a post to get to bed after a game that ended at 11:30 p.m. or midnight. But I don't have much to say. Last night's loss against the Rays gave me the blahs.

I know I said I'd take a split down in Tampa. I still mean that, but I don't like what I've seen from the Phillies offense. Yes, it's possible that all those guys left on base could turn into runs scored in droves. But it's also possible the Phillies are in a phunk, or the week off did cool them down. Or, maybe they're just not equipped to beat American League teams.

{I can't believe that theory. The Rays are not the better team. I honestly believe things will turn around at home.}

Whatever the cause, they better snap out of it tomorrow. I love Jamie Moyer. He's earned Tim Wakefield status - an honor I haven't even bestowed on Curt Schilling - where he won't get ripped. Yet I do worry whether he's got enough craft to win one or two more games this year. The Phillies are still favored to win this Series, but that will change big time if they're down 2-1 Sunday morning.

And, I don't think Christine's nerves could handle trailing in a playoff series. She could barely stand when the Phillies lost games in the first two rounds, cutting their leads to 2-1. Remembering that, however, makes her reaction to this tied series pretty good. Go Phils!

No comments: