Oct 8, 2008

NLCS eve

I'm numb.

I don't know if it's from all the late nights this week, the crazy weekend that lies ahead or the prospect that the Red Sox and Phillies may square off in two weeks.

In any case, I have no deep thoughts tonight. And there hasn't been much news other than this love fest for a Manny vs. Red Sox World Series. That sickens me because I was forced to agree with Yankee-loving Michael Kay and Tim McCarver. Why should he be rewarded with a World Series trip after he quit on his team?

The other tidbit is that Daisuke Matsuzaka will go in Game 1 instead of Josh Beckett. The decision avoids starting Jon Lester on short rest and lines him up for one home start and a potential Game 7. Because of Beckett's shaky start last week, I didn't have a preference between him and Dice in the opener.

Predictions: I have no strong feelings in either series, except that the Red Sox are going to be in for a war. I never bet on my team for fear of jinxing the outcome, but I'll pick them. Red Sox in seven.

Similarly, I keep going back and forth with the Phillies. The Dodgers don't give up homers, which really hinders how they score. And I think those who say people are overstating the Dodgers lineup may be underestimating it because of the emergence of Andre Either and the return of Rafael Furcal. But this is the team that needed a quitter to be its leader, and the Phillies have the edge in intangibles. I'll go Phillies in six.

Christine's picks: Dodgers vs. Phillies: Phillies, no doubt.

Red Sox vs. Rays: I'm torn - my husband's happiness or slaying the monster? If the Red Sox win, everyone will become Phillies fans, because who wants to see Boston win again? No one. But if the Rays win, everyone will be rooting for the underdog and we'll have to listen to even more myths about booing, Santa Claus and D batteries. As a fan, I want the Rays to win. Deep down, I'm afraid the Sox will win, and you'll all have a front-row seat to the impending epic battle in my house. (I probably feel that way because I was just watching The War of the Roses.)


Yearbook finale: I've been forgetting to wrap up our yearbook feature.

In the yearbook surveys, Pat Burrell and Ryan Howard, two players who didn't answer the questions that most did, were given alternates.

I don't know what to make of it, but Pat Burrell likes to watch Scooby Doo, vacation in Hawaii and look at gorillas at the zoo.

Ryan Howard's favorite "kicks" of all time are Jordans.

[Photo credit: Associated Press]

No comments: