Oct 4, 2008

J.D. unfazed by rally monkey and K-Rod

There are few things as uplifting as a close win in playoff baseball and few things as crushing as a close loss.

Last night the difference between the two was razor thin until J.D. Drew - who has been hurt and homerless since July 26 - homered in the 9th off Francisco Rodriguez, who some think is the best closer in baseball based on his record saves total this year. Red Sox 7, Angels 5.

He's good, but he's a notch below Jonathan Papelbon, who got the win on only 21 pitches in two innings of perfect baseball. He did allow an inherited runner to score, but you can't expect Chone Figgins to be stranded when he leads off with a triple. Christine thinks K-Rod, who wants $75 million on the market this winter, will fit in nicely in the Mets bullpen.

I predicted a strong outing from Daisuke Matsuzaka. I was wrong. He needed 108 pitches to muddle through five innings, giving up three runs, eight hits and three walks. Thankfully, there's an off day for Papelbon to rest up to close it out for Josh Beckett on Sunday night.

Do you think Jason Bay is happy to be out of Pittsburgh? A big three-run homer in the first and a 3-5 night for the man who we're often reminded is no Manny Ramirez. Drew also had a three-hit night.

So after two games, the Red Sox and Phillies each stand five wins away from the World Series I both crave and dread. Each team has to finish off business in Round 1 and then get by a pair of tough opponents, likely the Rays and Dodgers, who are attempting to sweep their series as well. It could be the first time all four divisional series end 3-0.

Of the four, the Phillies have the first crack at ending their series against the Brewers at 6:37 tonight. We'll check in afterward.

A good sign?: I had a dream that I turned on the Phillies game in the first inning tonight and they were winning 1-0. I turned away for a minute and suddenly it was 8-0. I'm not sure if I've ever had a dream about a game before, especially one so specific about the score, the inning and what I was doing.

And I've had this scene from Wayne's World stuck in my head for the past two days. I keep hearing Alice Cooper's pronunciation of "mill-e-wah-que."

Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.
Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

I hope the Phillies visit to "mill-e-wah-que" is short and sweet.


[Photo credit: Associated Press]

No comments: