Oct 12, 2008

The morning after

I bailed on the game around 12:15 a.m. with the score 8-8 heading to the bottom of the 9th. I woke up five hours later and saw they lost 9-8.

Remind me again why Mike Timlin was activated for this round? Couldn't we figure out a way to manipulate the rules to get Eric Gagne on the roster? Probably lost in the ugliness of the game is the good job by the bullpen (Timlin excluded).

Before Timlin gave up a run on three walks in two-thirds of an inning, five Red Sox relievers gave up no runs with three hits, no walks and four strikeouts in four and two-thirds innings.

That came after Josh Beckett's gave up eight earned on nine hits and a walk in four and one-third innings.

My thoughts from last night still stand. I'm not concerned about losing Game 2 - it's now a five-game series with home-field advantage in Boston. But I'm very worried about forging ahead with this version of Beckett.

Fewer worries, and hopefully an earlier ending, for tonight's game as Jamie Moyer leads the Phillies into Los Angeles. A win will pretty much lock up the Phillies first World Series appearance since 1993. But after 2004, I won't guarantee a series until I see players dancing on the field.

No comments: