Feb 9, 2008

Another roider!?!

I can't take it anymore.

Another day, another report of someone else taking the juice. This time there's an admission.

OK, it's not a real admission, and Booker T isn't the name of the day in the world of steriod scandal. The latest revelation is that Debbie Clemens did the juice to prepare for a bikini shot in the 2003 SI swimsuit edition.

This week we've seen bloody gauze, syringes, beer cans and now this. The worst part is we probably won't ever get a straight answer. Who can you really trust: the egomaniac who's been full of it for his 20-year career or the guy who saves other people's medical-type waste for years?

I also keep going back to an idea Bill Simmons proposed recently: What if Clemens started juicing when he was still a Red Sox?

With all the craziness swirling around this story, it seems more likely that Clemens' Boston finish was tainted by more than just being out-of-shape and unmotivated.

Here's my memory of his ending:

On Sept. 18, 1996, I was in my dorm room doing whatever a college sophomore does on a random weekday night, when across the ticker comes news that Roger Clemens is pitching a great game.

Being the ancient times when the Internet was still dawning, I waited for ESPN to interrupt its regularly scheduled programming to see if Clemens could match the 20 K game he had 10 years earlier. He did.

I took it as a sign that Clemens - who besides the strike-shortened 1994 hadn't had a good year since 1992 - was back and would have a respectable ending to his career. It was such a deep moment I popped my favorite mix tape in my Walkman (remember, ancient times of 1996) and headed for a courtyard where I could think alone.

Also fresh in my mind was one of my best in-park experiences a month earlier when Clemens shut out the Angels in what proved to be his last home shutout in Boston.

On Aug. 1, after a drubbing by the Royals, Clemens stood at 4-11 with a 4.36 ERA, 9.16 K/9 and a 1.42 WHIP, averaging 6.8 innings per start. In his last 10 Red Sox starts, he averaged 7.7 innings and went 6-2 with a 2.08 ERA, striking out 11.24 per 9 and a posting a 1.12 WHIP.

Was Aug. 1 the end of the Rocket and the start of the Roider? Could be, but thankfully, even if it were, it didn't affect championships.

No comments: