Feb 20, 2008

Put me in coach

Coco Crisp, the leading Red Sox cheerleader since being supplanted by Jacoby Ellsbury in Game 6 of the ALCS, doesn't want that job anymore:

"I want to play. Like I said, I wouldn't be happy sitting on the bench. A lot of people say, well, I don't deserve it. Well, that's understandable too. I didn't have a good offensive year like I did in the past. I think I proved myself that I can win healthy and shown that my defense is way better than what people thought. People think that my offense is terrible. Now it's time to show them that my offense really isn't. Went through a couple of bruised up years, everybody goes through that. Unfortunately I just went through that when I came over here to mega-media central."
Sounds like he has a good attitude. He acknowledges his weak offensive years in Boston, touts his defensive strength (he plays the best CF in baseball) but hints he'd rather start than win. Sounds like it could be a bad sign, but really, do you want a player who doesn't want to play?

If the Sox get a good offer - obviously hasn't happened since he's still on the roster - then Coco should be traded to a team he would start for. Until then, hopefully he realizes that he won't be traded to a team that has a better chance of winning than the Red Sox and that he'll get plenty of playing time as Manny's late-inning defensive replacement. Also, J.D. Drew has played at least 140 games in each of the past two seasons, meaning he's overdue for an injury. (I know, I promised myself no more griping about that signing since his Game 6 grand slam.) {That grand slam was meaningless. As is J.D. Drew.}

G.I. Manny: Manny Ramirez reports. Then he leaves. The Globe has a picture of him ... well, his car, at least. Maybe if Ryan Howard wins his arbitration hearing he can buy a set of wheels like this:

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

On paper, the Red Sox and A's don't match up, but already, there has been some internal discussion about packaging a top prospect with Coco Crisp in an effort to land starter Joe Blanton. As it stands, the A's projected center fielder is Chris Denorfia, a 27-year-old who played at Division III Wheaton College, missed last season with Tommy John surgery and has played in 67 big-league games., from the Providence Journal

Gotta love a deal for another started...So Coco will be gone.....

Greg said...

I can't see them dealing a top prospect for Blanton. With the staff the way it is, we should only need to cover 10 starts to keep Lester and Buchholz to reasonable inning limits this year. That's why we keep the dregs like Julian Taverez and Kyle Snyder around.