Feb 18, 2010

Superstitious SoxandPhils closers

Both of our closers are using unusual methods to overcome their disappointing 2009 seasons.

It's been known for a while that Jonathan Papelbon used footage of his blown save that ended the ALDS to motivate him through his winter workouts:

"I've got it on tape and I watched it 100 times in my weight room," Papelbon said yesterday, in his first meeting with the media since allowing three runs to the Angels and taking the blown save and the loss in the game that concluded 2009 for the Red Sox. "I used it as motivation when I was feeling tired and weak. I'd pop it on, and kind of go over and say, 'There's still work to be done.'"

What's new, however, is that Brad Lidge is planning an even more drastic gesture to put his awful 2009 season behind him:

"I'm going to burn my '09 shirts and we'll get this over with and move forward from there."

Awesome.

They should have a bonfire at the park and make a day of it. They should even roast marshmallows and turkey legs.

Or, perhaps, we can forget about the whole arson thing and just have Lidge stop tipping his pitches.

No comments: