Feb 2, 2010

Catching up with former Sox

Please excuse the staleness of what follows. I'll be at work late today, so I pre-wrote a bit.

Anyhoo, a couple former Red Sox have signed contracts recently: Orlando Cabrera signed with the Reds; Kevin Millar signed a minor league deal with the Cubs; and, in a surprise, Byung-Hyun Kim (who's still only 31 despite not pitching in the majors since 2007) signed a minor league deal with the Giants.

For those keeping track of former Red Sox, the Globe has a scorecard.

There's another former Red Sox in the news, but not in the transaction listings. Bill Buckner had some fun with fans at an old-timers dinner in Illinois when asked what his first thought was after the ball rolled through his legs:

"My first thought when it happened was, 'Wow, I get to play in a seventh game of a World Series. How cool is that?' And my other thought was how bad the people in Chicago must feel, Boston being here and their team not."

Finally, one guy who probably won't ever be a Red Sox is Joe Mauer, who seems to be close to signing a long-term deal with the Twins. I'd love to have him on the Red Sox, but it's better for the game to keep him in Minnesota. (I am not a gluttonous Yankees fan.) My only concern is whether this complicates matters with re-signing Victor Martinez, who would become the top catcher on the free-agent market next winter.

No comments: