Feb 20, 2010

Spaceman hits the big screen

I had the opportunity to clear out the DVR recently and finished off Spaceman: A Baseball Odyssey.

I liked it even though it didn't blaze any new ground on one of the game's greatest characters - especially for anyone who has read Bill Lee's autobiography, The Wrong Stuff.

I read that book several years ago. I've always admired Lee's honesty and willingness to be himself even though it meant less opportunity to play the game he loves. And watching the movie gave me the sense that it was a "documentary based on the book."

One major difference was Lee's aunt stealing the show in her commentary, especially punctuating how he probably pitched while high but that it didn't affect him.

There was also a part about a barnstorming tour Lee took in Cuba a few years ago. That was some fascinating stuff, especially the bit in which he's walking around cow fields in full uniform trying to find a stadium. You had the feeling he would bump into Fidel Castro and they would have a catch. That wouldn't surprise anyone with the Spaceman.

I did gain a greater appreciation for just how much Lee loves playing baseball and how that love gives him an instant connection to so many people no matter their background.

It was definitely an enjoyable movie, and I hope MLB Network continues to show things like this. I'd rather be riding Space Mountain, but if that's not possible, I'll take a good baseball movie like Spaceman.

No comments: