Mar 13, 2008

Big guy to the rescue

And for the first time since 2002, I'm not talking about David Ortiz or Curt Schilling. It's Bartolo Colon.

Since he was signed, I've largely avoided the trap of getting enamored of a big name and dreaming that all of a sudden he'll regain his past abilities. Now, with Josh Beckett's sore back and Daisuke Matsuzaka's impending fatherhood, there's a chance Colon may be more than just filler at Pawtucket.

The Globe's Nick Cafardo reports:

I can't tell you how many scouts from other teams have said to me this spring, "I wish we had signed him." A lot of teams passed and if things continue to go well, the Sox might have a real find.

And today he pitched well in his first major league game of the spring, though only two innings.

Farewell: Two-time champion and Tim Wakefield caddy, Doug Mirabelli, has been released. Sad because he's been around so long, but Kevin Cash should be able to catch the knuckler.

Other items: I hope Manny Ramirez, not Lenny Dykstra, is correct about the effects of reading on a batter's eye. And my new favorite scrub, Lincoln Holdzkom, was released by the Phillies but reclaimed by the Red Sox.

No comments: