Mar 28, 2008

Happy feelings

Baseball began in Japan on Tuesday morning. Its season opens in earnest next week. Are you happy?

Adam Eaton is:

"The results weren't great, but I felt good," Eaton said after the Phillies' 14-5 loss at Joker Marchant Stadium. "I felt like my stuff was just as good at the end as it was at the beginning. The way I feel and the way my stuff is, I'm pretty happy."

I guess I'd be happy if I could pocket $140,000 a week with no discernible skill set. Adam Beaten, who had a 6.29 ERA last season, somehow found a way to get 2008 off on a worse foot. Let's get one of the monkeys to be the fifth starter until Kris Bensen is ready.

Spring training wrap-up: Christine and I will train for the season by attending the Blue Jays-Phillies final spring training game on Saturday - our first live action of the spring. We won't get to boo Scott Rolen, but maybe Rod Barajas will make an appearance.

Similarly, Nomar Garciaparra is out for the Dodgers and will miss the pinball game against the Red Sox in Los Angeles, a city where, the Globe notes, Terry Francona made his managerial debut for the Phillies, piloting Curt Schilling to victory.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if you have license to poke fun at our Phillies just yet. He may be terrible and perhaps the worst free-agent pitcher signing in several years, but he's our terrible pitcher and our worst free-agent signing, and right now, on the cusp of the season, I think he's going to pull it together and go 16 and 7 with a 4.32 ERA.

Greg said...

Just yet? After sitting through hundreds of Phillies games over the years, I've earned the right to criticize.

A lot of it is frustration - they've got a great core but management keeps shooting themselves in the foot by dealing with dregs like Eaton instead of paying top dollar for quality talent that will put them over the top.

And, he's got to post those numbers for the Phils to reach your predicted 102 wins. If either happens, I'm buying the first beer at the first playoff game.

Unknown said...

Just yet in blogosphere terms.

I like pale ales.

And I was also going for Broxton but I had lower waiver priority.

Greg said...

Broxton was the best middle reliever available. That's the price you pay for getting Chase Utley.

You can have whatever beer you want after Eaton wins 16 games - I still can't type that with a straight face.