Mar 11, 2008

The season has begun

Well, the roller coaster emotions that accompany it have started, anyway. Especially when it comes to ace Josh Beckett.

First, the Globe reports he is feeling better (back and crankiness) than yesterday:

"Better today than I was yesterday. I got a good night's sleep."

But then Terry Francona tells ESPN's Jayson Stark there's no telling whether Beckett will be on the mound in Tokyo:

"I don't think we know [for sure] yet. But we're certainly not going to rush him back to pitch a game March 24 if he's not ready."

Beckett had a day of good treatment today, Francona told Stark. Still, the manager was cautious. “The idea is just to give Beckett the respect to get better when he gets better," Francona told ESPN.

I guess I've pretty much resigned myself that he won't pitch until the Red Sox play the A's on American soil. Argh.

(And if you think I'm bad already, Christine will be more emotional during the season. Promise.)

The news has been better out of Phillies camp, where the headlines lately say: Brad Lidge should be ready by Opening Day, Kris Benson has a shot to open the season in the majors and Brett Myers leads the rotation.


Not without a prescription: For hours the Globe promised interesting comments from Mike Greenwell, who visited camp today. I guess they were interesting, but I think they were oversold. They involve steroids:
The truth? My wife's a nurse and basically told me she'd kill me if she caught me doing it. Really. Reality.

She was a nurse. I looked into it. I studied it. I know a lot about steroids, to be honest with you. Because I was very, very tempted as a player to do it and I think there's many, many players out there that were tempted to do it. Probably if I didn't have my wife I would have done it to try to perform at that level. Another little slight reason I retired when I retired. I just didn't feel like it was quite even anymore.

No comments: