Mar 8, 2008

Media musings

I have to post early today because Christine and I are heading into enemy country (Yankees and Mets region) this morning.

A few headlines did jump out at me: Dice-K's return to Japan on hold till wife has baby from the Philadelphia Daily News and Matsuzaka might make it from the Boston Globe. I guess they're both accurate. The stories, which are essentially the same, say that Daisuke Matsuzaka's wife is due March 19, and he won't travel to Japan with the team for its March 25 opener against the A's. But he may be available to pitch depending on when the baby comes. Basically, yesterday's news makes it seem more likely that he will pitch than when the trip was first announced. Then, the Sox were non-committal about Dice-K pitching. (Did I mention our trip to North Jersey is for a baby shower?)

And then I read: Let's not go overboard on the Red Sox. I knew instantly it was Dan Saughnessy. I must say, however, I agree with him. The crusty columnist has been better in recent years. He's not denigrating the Sox's success, just pointing out some have gone overboard:

Two new books (at least) are scheduled to hit stores this spring: Michael Holley's "Red Sox Rule: Terry Francona and Boston's Rise to Dominance"; and Tony Massarotti's "Dynasty: The Inside Story of How the Red Sox Became a Baseball Powerhouse." Whoa. Dominance? Powerhouse? (Gulp) Dynasty?
We aren't a dynasty. Even ignoring the two-year gap, the teams of 2004 and 2007 are too different to be considered as part of one. Yes, key players such as Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Jason Varitek, Curt Schilling and Tim Wakefield remained, but a bulk of the roster overturned. Now, if they win in '08, start printing those books.

No comments: