Dec 3, 2010

It's better than that

When he heard Jason Varitek was re-signed for another year, David Ortiz was thrilled:

"That's great for us," he said. "That's like hearing my brother is back."

It's a million times better than that. Since I retired my Papi T-shirt in July, my Varitek shirt is my only in-date Red Sox shirt (unless you count Jacoby Ellsbury's old No. 46).

So, I'll be current for at least one more year.

Practically, I'm kind of happy he's back as the backup. I wouldn't want him to start, but I think he's more than capable in a backup/mentor role.

2 comments:

Matty said...

He's an icon there. The face of Red Sox nation. How can they not resign him. Just having him on the team is worth the money.

Greg said...

Yup, past deeds are worth something. Not $50 million over three years, but $2 million sounds right.