Jul 11, 2010

Nice way to end the first half

Toward the end of the Phillies 1-0 win over the Reds today, Christine noted that I prefer pitching duels. I didn't understand that she was referring to the fact that it would have been a great game to go to and that we would have been there today if something better hadn't come along.

I enjoyed watching my first Sunday afternoon game with my wife and our son, which we followed with a barbecue. (I wasn't allowed to give Trent a burger.) I know we're still in the early innings and that there will be difficult and unpleasant times ahead, but I'm going to like this parenting thing.

And everyone likes that the Phillies are now 4-0 since the little guy came home. Although he broke his streak of walk-off extra-inning wins, he did will them to consecutive 1-0 wins for the first time since 1913.

The Red Sox have improved to 2-1 since Trent came home, after beating the Blue Jays 3-2 in a game affected by shadows because of a malfunctioning retractable roof.

At the All-Star break, the Red Sox trail the Yankees by 4.5 games and the Rays by 3. The Phillies trail the Braves by 4.5 games and the Rockies by 2. (The Mets and Dodgers are also ahead of them.) Despite all their troubles in the first half, I think our teams are well positioned for a magical ending in which I'll have to wake Trent up on a fall night and he won't know how to react to the ending of the SoxandPhils World Series because one of his teams will have won, the other will have lost.

Interesting trivia: Yesterday's gem between Roy Halladay and Travis Wood was the first time two starters matched nine shutout innings since 2003. Doc was one of those starters too. ... Nick Cafardo notes that "Adrian Beltre had hit the most home runs among active players who hadn’t made an All-Star Game, until he was finally selected. Beltre hit 262 homers before being named. Matt Stairs has hit 261, and will likely never go."

Premature retirement: I retired my David Ortiz T-shirt today. I wanted to wear it one more time, but it's just too big.

1 comment:

Matty said...

I like the idea of the Phils riding the Trent wave right into the world series.