Jul 14, 2010

Quick thoughts on departed Yankees

Here's my take on the two iconic Yankees who died this week.

Bob Sheppard: I'll bestow upon him the highest honor I'll give a Yankee. Like Mariano Rivera, I would love him if he were on any other team. His voice was golden, but the Yankees went a little overboard with the "Voice of God" stuff and the pre-recorded intro for Derek Jeter. Like Rivera, my animosity for him is solely because he's a Yankee.

Ricky Bottalico did a good impression of Sheppard this morning on WIP. He also did a pretty good Harry Kalas.

George Steinbrenner: The epitome of Yankee arrogance and bombast. He's everything that baseball shouldn't be. And the Yankee fans who came to love him when the Yankees started winning in the 1990s are hypocrites because they all hated him just a couple years before.

The Yankees are honoring their departed legends by wearing not one but two separate and gaudy patches. In my day, when a Yankee died, they put just a black band on their sleeves. Steinbrenner was classy with things like this; I'd think he'd prefer the simple black band.

No comments: