Dec 19, 2010

Hotcakes to go and other bullpen matters

I didn't think that my favorite newly acquired SoxandPhil would be Cliff Lee, Adrian Gonzalez or Carl Crawford.

Nope, I thought it would be Dennys Reyes. But a funny thing happened on his way to becoming the next El Guapo in my eyes - his deal with the Phillies fell through:

"We hit a snag," said Oscar Suarez, who is Reyes' agent. "So we just decided to push back."

Asked if it was health related, Suarez said, "It just didn't work out. We're back on the market. I don't want to get into details why."

Oh well, I guess it's up to Bobby Jenks to fill the role of beloved rotund reliever this year.

Speaking of whom, Christine wondered if Jenks means the end of Jonathan Papelbon. I guessed no. I even suggested that Papelbon, Daniel Bard and Jenks would be the kinds of arms Theo Epstein wanted for a closer by committee. I hadn't seen Peter Abraham's piece that said Papelbon would have been gone if Mariano Rivera joined the good guys, but that our incumbent closer will remain for now:

Fast forward to yesterday when the Red Sox signed Bobby Jenks to a two-year deal worth $12 million. That's big money for a guy who might pitch a lot in the seventh inning. But it's reasonable money for a guy who could be the closer in July.

Happy holidays, Pap. The Red Sox are sending shots across your bow faster than any of your fastballs.

Team sources said yesterday and again this morning that the Red Sox plan to start the season with Papelbon, Jenks and Daniel Bard in the bullpen. The Phillies have four aces, the Sox will have three closers.

Sounds like an interesting World Series matchup to me.

1 comment:

Matty said...

I sure hope it's a Sox/Phils series.