Dec 17, 2010

Big-time bullpen addition

While the mystery continues whether the Red Sox approached Mariano Rivera or he approached them, I'm focused on the facts:

1. I respect Mo, but he's still the enemy, and I enjoy it when the Red Sox beat him.

2. The Red Sox signed an All-Star closer to help Jonathan Papelbon and Daniel Bard close out games.

I admit it. Last night I wasn't thrilled with getting Bobby Jenks and told Trent so. But that's because I fell into the trap of listening to the media harp on conventional stats. Turns out he didn't pitch too poorly last season despite the higher-than-usual ERA.

So, we have a pretty dominant back of the pen. I just hope it's enough to make up the edge the Phillies have in the starting rotation.

***UPDATE*** Christine was grumbling that she would have to edit a post tonight, but since I've written, MLB Network announced that Carlos Ruiz won its X-Factor of the Year Award, beating Pat Burrell. Now she's happy.

No comments: