Sep 19, 2010

End of the road

I always wonder how far I can ride my bike. When I used to regularly train for my annual ride, I tried to go a little further than the previous time. Of course, I abandoned that routine once Trent came along, but yesterday I set out for a 70-mile ride in preparation for next week's 75-mile ride.

(I know I probably should have cut it back, but I want to send a message to the little guy about commitment, perseverance and health.)

Naturally, I wondered what I would see in those few miles I never rode before. But toward the end, I saw signs saying the road was closed and only open to local traffic. I kept going, figuring if it were safe for the locals, it would be safe for a guy on a bike.

I kept pedaling; the signs kept popping up. Finally, three miles before the point where I planned to turn around, I hit a concrete barrier and could go no further.

I think this must be what it's like for the Red Sox and the other 19 teams that are playing out the string. There's nothing ahead, but you just keep going until you hit the end of the road, or season.

Today's games: Jon Lester shut down the Blue Jays 6-0. The Phillies kept their hopes alive (of clinching at home this weekend) by scoring four runs in the bottom of the 9th to beat the Nationals 7-6.

No comments: