Dec 15, 2008

Pat Burrell isn't bitter, but we are

At last, Pat Burrell spoke in a lengthy, matter-of-fact interview with Paul Hagen.

I'm disappointed. I can't lie about that. But I can't say I'm upset about it, either, because when I think about my time there I have nothing but good things to say. The city, the fans, have been behind me from the very beginning. That's the hard part, especially with respect to what happened last year, with us winning the whole thing. It was very meaningful to me to be a part of something like that. But you have to move on.

You know, there's a business [aspect] to this sport. And as a player you'd better learn to accept that or else it's going to be pretty frustrating for you. I was aware that, most likely, the team was going to go the other way. At the same time, I thought there was a chance I might be back.

I could have accepted letting Burrell go, but I don't understand replacing him with Raul Ibanez. Baseball Prospectus backs that feeling up. I wish I could get the whole article, but the free portion convinces me:

Let's be clear about this: the Phillies didn't get any better with this deal. They got an outfielder who is just as poor a glove man as the guy he's replacing, likely a worse hitter, somewhat older, and at a cost of two additional seasons and maybe $14 million.

Other news: Jamie Moyer is coming back for two years. Chan Ho Park will sign a one-year deal. Dustin Pedroia decided not to repeat as MVP next year to take Chase Utley's spot in the World Baseball Classic.

No comments: