Dec 6, 2008

Christmas at Citizens Bank Park

Christine's mom, who was coming along on today's shopping trip to Philadelphia (we were also going to Ikea), called Friday night after she heard that President Bush was going to be in Philly for the Army-Navy game.

I don't pay much attention to the event, but I decided we could still go Phillies Christmas shopping as long as we just went closer to the 9 a.m. store opening than after 10 as we originally planned.

When we got to the park, tailgating and football fans were out in mass. Christine was right - there was nowhere to park. We parked at a CVS about a half mile away while Christine's mom stayed back in case the store demanded the car had to be moved.

After a walk through the parking lot where burning charcoal cut into the crisp winter air, we arrived at the park for the first time since witnessing the Phils win the World Series.

And in case we weren't sure it happened, they plastered World Series logos on everything. The prices were incredible: $45 for a jigsaw puzzle or $200 for a plaque with fake autographs.

After we browsed, Christine left the store so I could pick up some goodies, including: you'll find out on Christmas.

The clerk, who knew what we were doing, couldn't believe I was buying so few things for Christine. I assured her that I had already bought a **** and a **** and some ****.

After my purchase was complete, the clerk said she had to go find a bag. "Never mind," I said, showing her the black garbage bag I brought along, knowing the store gives clear bags, which would ruin Christine's surprise.

When we got home, we set up the ol' tree. And I couldn't help but give Christine one of the treats I bought today.

It's now front and center on the tree.

One ornament I considered buying, but didn't, was one of the Phanatic writing his letter to Santa. His request is for the Phillies to be the best team in baseball.

You already got that, big guy.

2 comments:

Joe Wolf's Vertical Jump said...

Glad to hear that the tree got up. At least it did not fall like our did. Love the photo of you with the trash bag in front of the tree, very classy.

Greg said...

Yeah, I couldn't decide whether I felt trashy or like Santa Claus with my black plastic bag. Probably a little more the later since I told Christine to take my picture.