May 7, 2008

I want Renteria back

I left work later than usual because of some extracurricular activity. When I got in the car, I was disappointed to hear that the Red Sox long stretch of good quality pitching (Daisuke Matsuzaka's wildness excluded) was ended by young Clay Buchholz, and the Sox were trailing the Tigers 5-2.

As I drove home, I heard them pull within one, and I got that unbeatable feeling again. But then, Julian Taverez, making his first appearance since April 24, got tagged for three runs. After getting home, I didn't check the score again until I went online and was surprised to see the Sox were up 9-8 in the ninth. I figured I'd wait out the inning before posting another toast to their resiliency.

But Jonathan Papelbon - fueled largely by Julio Lugo's 10th error of the year - blew the save. Funny, in the car I heard former Sox Edgar Renteria - known affectionately to Boston fans as Rent-A-Wreck for his awful 2005 season - make a great diving play to rob a near-certain hit.

Oh well, time to start a new five-game winning streak.

Late Phillies: They trail the Arizona Diamondbacks 3-1 in the sixth. Good night. Not really.

No comments: