May 12, 2008

Close, but no carnation for Mother's Day

The Red Sox tried but couldn't rally past the Twins for their moms yesterday. The Phillies also dropped a one-run game, with J.C. Romero taking the loss against the Giants instead of Adam Eaton.

The failed Red Sox rally reminded me of the 1997 Mother's Day game, when they rallied for four runs late in the game against the Rangers but still lost 8-6. A young whippersnapper by the name of Tom Gordon dropped to 1-5.

I remember this game because I was in Fenway that day with my brother and cousin. It was a long day trip from North Jersey. We snuck down to the box seats to watch the Sox come up short.

Mom wasn't happy that I - just home for summer break after my sophomore year of college - took the trip.

Hopefully, the Sox, playing on ESPN tonight, will not have another failed comeback.

No comments: