May 13, 2008

They come in three

Young Kyle Kendrick spotted the Braves three runs in the first inning, but then decided not to emulate Adam Eaton and shut down Atlanta for the next five innings. The Phillies, led by Jayson Werth's four RBIs, came back to win 5-4. Ryan Howard had an RBI and two hits and is now approaching the Mendoza line. Talk is starting that he's warming up. I called it first.

And good thing Werth had those four RBIs because he probably cost the team a run in the ninth by misjudging a fly ball that wound up over his head. Luckily it only cost Brad Lidge his perfect ERA and not the Phillies a win.

For the second straight day, the Red Sox scored three first inning runs and wound up with a loss. They are now out of first, and I'm starting to wonder at what point in the season do I root for the Yankees when they play the Rays (typing that makes my skin crawl).

Josh Beckett couldn't get the job done against the Orioles, and I'm starting to think we're seeing a Beckett more like the 2006 vintage than the 2007 mint.

Christine and I said the same thing out loud when we saw J.D. Drew injure his wrist: "That's only a sprain?"

No comments: