May 16, 2008

Werth carries the load

When I got into my car after stopping at the grocery store, I was surprised to hear the Phillies were up 4-0. I zoned out, but snapped out of it when I heard Jayson Werth hit a grand slam, his second homer of the game, and the announcers say that he had seven RBIs so far. He hit one more later, topping off his eight-RBI night, but couldn't become the 16th player with a four homer game. Instead, he and the Phillies had to settle for a 10-3 win over the Blue Jays.

And Ryan Howard got another hit. As I predicted, he's starting to heat up. He has hit in nine straight, boosting his average from .163 to .188. He's hitting a whopping .218 in May.

Even more incredible, however, is that the Red Sox, after dropping four straight, have gone two days without a loss - thanks to a rainout at home.

Pitching match-up: Our game Sunday pits Shaun Marcum against Kyle Kendrick. I just picked up Marcum for my fantasy team. He's a nice third starter behind Dan Haren and the undefeated Brandon Webb, who might now have more than a 0.2 percent chance of winning 30 games.

{Hopefully the fantasy team will have a commanding lead by Sunday, the last day of the fantasy week, so it won't matter when the Phils smack around Marcum.}

No comments: