May 28, 2008

Catching up on yesterday's news ...

Daisuke Matsuzaka remains undefeated, as the Red Sox waited until the bottom of the 9th to lose against the Mariners. Dice was long gone by then; apparently his shoulder has finally fallen apart from all the pitches he throws. Funny, he logged only 65 in four innings last night - pretty efficient for him.

The game was not without drama, however. Manny, as promised, hit No. 499 to build excitement for No. 500. I'm certainly thrilled and hope it comes when the team continues to struggle on the road.

Question: It looks like the Red Sox may be well represented at the All-Star game. Will they play like the awful road team they are or the dominant home team? I've considered Yankee Stadium their home away from home since 2004, so look for them to trump the NL and have the World Series open at Fenway.

I will admit it would be embarrassing to see so many Sox on the squad. Kevin Youkilis deserves it; Dustin Pedroia isn't undeserving, but you could easily pick someone else, and David Ortiz, Jason Varitek and Manny Ramirez also aren't undeserving, but their history factors in a lot. Oh well, these things even out over time - remember when Scoot Cooper was our only selection?

{Greg is so obnoxious. Sounds just like a Yankees fan.}

The NL released their vote tallies today. The Phillies' moms need to learn from Chase Utley's how to stuff the ballot box.

Today's milestones: Congratulations. A whole-hearted congratulations on this significant accomplishment - Adam Eaton's first win of 2008. He actually pitched six solid innings in the Phillies 6-1 win over the Rockies tonight. ... ESPN is showing all of Manny's at-bats as he tries for 500. So far, he's 0 for 1. No score in the 3rd. ... Finally, congrats to Wally the Green Monster, who was named by Maxim as the baseball mascot most deserving of a punch to the groin.

Also tonight, we stepped out for a walk and to get some dinner. What did I miss? The Phils' five-run 5th inning. Oh well, as long as they keep winning - I can always watch the highlights later.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't have said it better myself: {Greg is so obnoxious. Sounds just like a Yankees fan.}

Christine said...

Personally, if my team trailed the Rays in the standings and couldn't win a game on the road, I don't think I would be talking about the World Series quite yet.

(Yes, Greg, I am fully aware that the Phillies trail the Marlins. That will change after this weekend.)

Greg said...

Divisions aren't won in May, didn't you learn that last year? We'll see how the Rays handle the pressure, but I don't think they'll choke like the Empire - should be a fun race.

And, there's a difference between the people electing a bunch of Red Sox and back in the day when Joe Torre just stuffed the roster.

As a rationed to Christine, there will be years in the future when Chase Utley is no longer the best second second basemen in baseball, but he'll keep getting elected based on past performance. It's the Nature of the Beast. (Very good, underrated Twister Sister tune.)

Christine said...

First, if divisions aren't won in May, then you also shouldn't count on the World Series being played in Fenway this year.

Second, don't disparage Chase Utley, now or in the future.

Third, when Chase does gracefully bow out of the game, Adrian Cardenas will be there to take his spot (yes, I know he'll be too old by then and will probably have to switch positions because Utley will be blocking his road to the majors at second).

Unknown said...

My bottom line is this: Even if the Phillies won two world series in the span of four years, I'd still somehow not anoint them. I want the Phillies to win so badly, but I would never expect it. Indeed, they'd somehow disappoint.

I think the collective Sox smugness, and it's not just Greg, undermines the whole sad Red Sox Nation yearning for a championship tale. They got it and suddenly the curse is erased and they're Evil Empire II. The Phillies, were they to win, would still be the Phillies.

Greg said...

Smug is expecting a90-win team to suddenly win 102 this year because they had a dramatic comeback last year.

Expecting a team to win that has won two crowns in the last four years, one of the best farm teams and is generally recongized as being the best-organized franchise in baseball is just common sense.

Again, for the millionth time, I expect and want the Sox to win, but I don't act as if no other team deserves to win. I'd tip my hat if the Rays can pull this off (as long as the Empire is dead and buried).

Unknown said...

That's not smug; it's a ludicrous prediction.

In re this point: "Expecting a team to win that has won two crowns in the last four years, one of the best farm teams and is generally recongized as being the best-organized franchise in baseball is just common sense."

// All true points, but it's because the Sox are Evil Empire II. Perhaps it's because they spend to keep up with the Yankees, but you don't do that stuff without buying your way there. It's what's wrong with baseball, in my estimation. I don't want the Phillies to be like that and I wouldn't appreciate them as much if they did.

In re this point: "Again, for the millionth time, I expect and want the Sox to win, but I don't act as if no other team deserves to win. I'd tip my hat if the Rays can pull this off (as long as the Empire is dead and buried)."

// Never said you act as if no other team "deserves" to win. In that point, perhaps, you're different from fans of Evil Empire I. But, and this is the point, I only want the Phillies to win, not expect and don't think I ever would. And I'd never tip my hat to any team that's not the Phillies. Maybe I'm a bad baseball fan b/c of that.