May 10, 2010

Off to Colorado

It's a good thing Roy Halladay wasn't involved in the debate Christine and I were having the other day about who Phillies fans would choose as their favorite BraveandPhil. He would have sided with Christine because he was a big Dale Murphy fan, as we learned in this story about Halladay who is scheduled to start against the Rockies on Tuesday - the first start he'll make in his hometown:

"I was a big Dale Murphy fan, so it was pretty exciting when they got him," Halladay said. Just before the start of their inaugural season in 1993, the Rockies signed Murphy after he had been placed on waivers by the Phillies at the end of spring training. Halladay was 15 at the time and had grown up a fan of the Atlanta Braves.

"I just watched them on TBS all the time, so I became a Braves fan," Halladay said. "They weren't any good until after Murphy left, which is when I became a Phillies fan for a couple of years."

Murphy was traded to the Phillies in August 1990 and also played for them in 1991 and 1992. Because of a balky left knee that required constant draining, Murphy's career with the Rockies lasted only 26 games, and Halladay's interest in his hometown team did not last much beyond that.

Because of Doc's connections among these teams, I thought I would do the all-time RoxandBravesandPhils team. Christine doubted me ... she was right. There are only eight such players, including someone else who was an option in the poll the other day, Ron Gant, current hitting coach Milt Thompson and the immortal Andy Ashby. Off the top off my head, I could only come up with Marvin Freeman. The others: Adam Bernero, Jose Hernandez and Jeff Parrett.

SoxandPhils who don't love their Mommas: I know that not every player uses a pink bat on Mother's Day, but I've never heard of players specifically shunning them. Today, we learned that Phillie Jayson Werth and Red Sox Adrian Beltre and David Ortiz wouldn't use them yesterday.

"I tried those pink bats in the past and they didn't work so well," Werth said.

He added that his mother would not be offended.

Tonight's games: In an ugly one, the Red Sox lead the Blue Jays 7-4 in the 4th. The Phillies are just under way in Doc Halladay's hometown with an early 1-0 lead.

No comments: