May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I spent this afternoon wrestling with a prickly shrub because my mother-in-law wanted it removed from her yard, so we missed much of the Phillies game.

It appears that Cole Hamels struggled with the Braves as much as I struggled with the hedge. We both, however, were victorious in our endeavors. I deposited the shrub in a dumpster, and the Phillies trashed the Braves 5-3. Most notable was Brad Lidge's eight-pitch 1-2-3 9th inning to record his first save of the season. Maybe ... nah, I won't say anything.

With their moms in the park, Chad Durbin (who I learned today was delivered by the same doctor who delivered J.A. Happ) and Jose Contreras bridged the three innings between Hamels and Lidge. They were perfect with five strikeouts. Maybe ... nah, I won't say anything.

A great Mother's Day story: The A's Dallas Braden pitched today, and his grandmother, who raised him, was in the park. He pitched a perfect game, the 19th in baseball history, against the Rays. Previously, he was most famous for calling out Alex Rodriguez, who had responded by suggesting that Braden was a nobody. Now, he's in the record books, and his grandmama had some choice words for Slappy (we love this story but question whether it will prove to be urban legend):

After Sunday's game, Braden's grandmother said: "Stick it, A-Rod," according to multiple reporters on the scene.

Amen, never argue with a grandmother.

Tonight: I'm watching Sunday night baseball between the Red Sox and Yankees, but I'm not planning on staying up late to see how it ends. In the 4th, Red Sox 6, Yankees 2.

2 comments:

Matty said...

How about that!! Jim Bunning on Father's Day, and now Braden on Mother's Day. Great story. Like you, I spent the day doing yard work, but I listened on my walkman. I also watched the sox spank the Yanks tonight.

Greg said...

Huh, I hadn't made that parents' day connection - nice.

And, the best part about baseball is that it can always be in the background no matter what you're doing.