May 26, 2010

DFA

I forgot to mention the other day that the Red Sox early-season cult hero Darnell McDonald was designated for assignment. That's probably a good thing because it turns out that he wasn't designated after all. The Red Sox were planning on it, but then Jacoby Ellsbury had some discomfort in his ribs, so the Red Sox sent down Scott Atchison in case they needed an extra outfielder.

Funny story - McDonald was asleep in his hotel room when he was awoken by his cell phone vibrating:

"I had to make sure I wasn't dreaming," McDonald said. "[Monday] was a tough day for me. I knew what the circumstances were. Now I'm here."

While McDonald spent his time on waivers napping and watching movies in his hotel room, Wilson Valdez said he spent his time in exile listening to his iPod in his hotel room.

For the SoxandPhils, it's been a very insightful week about the waiver process. Paul Hoover cleared waivers today; I wonder if he also spent the week in his hotel room.

Today's games: John Lackey joined the pitching party that the Red Sox starters have been on. They're leading the Rays 6-2 in the 8th thanks to a two-run homer by scorching David Ortiz, who was bettered by Adrian Beltre who had a pair of two-run homers.

The Phillies? I don't think Christine wants to talk about them. She's convinced they will never score another run. In the 8th, Mets 5, Phillies ... see the last sentence.

No comments: