Aug 4, 2009

Switching positions

Yesterday, I was flipping through my Phillies program from the game we went to two weeks ago and read that the Phillies signed Carlos Ruiz out of Panama as a catcher even though he never played the position.

Today, I read that new Red Sox catcher Victor Martinez was similarly signed out of Venezuela by the Indians to be a catcher without ever playing the position.

Granted, Chooch's story was written by the PR arm of the Phillies (Tom McCarthy) while V-Mart's was written by the Boston Globe, but it sounds like Ruiz had the easier transition:

"I put on the catcher's gear for the first time and was a little nervous. Once I slid the (chest protector) on, it felt so good that I knew it was the position for me. As I found out, you have so much in your control and I like that (part of the game)."

Martinez, meanwhile, wanted to quit after the first day, but his mother talked him into giving it a try:

Minnie Mendoza, the Latin America field coordinator for the Indians, told Martinez he would be a catcher. After his initial consternation, Martinez accepted his new job.

"I really took the challenge," Martinez said. "That's why we're here. We're here to work hard."

The transition moved slowly. A pitcher threw a ball in the dirt, and instead of blocking it, Martinez leaped out of the way. The pitch hit the umpire. "That won't be the last one," Mendoza told him.

Martinez had long arms and a large frame, and he struggled to coordinate a catcher's movements. He kept working at it. He became more assertive with pitchers and learned individual tendencies.

Hopefully, he will get to experience being behind the plate for a World Series clincher - as Ruiz already has.

Elvis benched? Former Phil Pat Burrell might also switch positions - from DH to left out. There are reports that Burrell, who has struggled mightily since leaving Philadelphia, may be benched by the Rays. Don McKee, however, notes: "No word on how Elvis is faring."

Kudos for thinking of the bulldog, but knock on some doors, make some calls and find out how he is faring. Our journalism professor used an acronym: GOYA KOD. The last part stands for Knock on Doors; the first part is Get off Your ... I'll let McKee figure out the last word.

But what do I know, I'm just a former reporter.

Barkin': Speaking of bulldogs, I somehow completely forgot to mention the Phillies Saturday loss against the Giants, which was remarkable for two reasons: I stayed up for the entirety of a West Coast night game, and it was Bark at the Park night in San Francisco.

We learned Tim Lincecum has a bulldog. Christine enjoyed watching all the doggies. That's one drawback of rooting for a team that sells out - no dog days at the park.

Tonight's games: The Red Sox lead the Rays 2-0 (no Burrell in lineup) in the 7th in a pitcher's duel between Jon Lester and Matt Garza. The Phillies trail the Rockies 8-3 in the 8th. Rodrigo Lopez didn't look good in his first relief outing.

No comments: