Aug 7, 2009

Divergent paths to SoxandPhils World Series

Every year, I am convinced that this will be the year that I've finally learned that baseball seasons are marathons and not to let myself get too excited during the highs or too bummed during the lows. I kept myself calm when the Red Sox beat the Yankees in their first eight head-to-head matchups and seemed primed for a third World Championship in my lifetime.

But it's hard not to get low after a night like last night that dropped them 3.5 behind the Yankees and just 2 up on the Rangers for the Wild Card. I can't believe I'm worried about the consolation prize in early August.

But last night, a washed-up John Smoltz got wiped away by the Yankees. The best first baseman in baseball, Kevin Youkilis, started in left field, and Jed Lowrie was injured again. The Globe's headlines included "Breaking point," "In reverse gear and skidding fast" and "Master plan shortsighted."

Everyone is convinced we're seeing a repeat of 2006 - the only time in the last six years the Red Sox missed the playoffs. It was capped by a five-game sweep by the Yankees in Fenway.

I'm not ready to give up. Sure, the glut of pitching has been reduced to Beckett, Lester and pray for nasty weather. But these guys are champions. Don't count 'em out.

While the Red Sox can't do anything right lately, their counterparts in our hoped SoxandPhils World Series can't do anything wrong. Ruben Amaro is walking on water right now: All his moves are working, the city loves him, and he's got the media wrapped around his finger. The biggest problem in Philadelphia is how beloved Jamie Moyer is going to handle the bullpen.

The other night I heard Amaro on the radio with Mike Missanelli, who tried to bait him into saying he celebrated closing the deal on the Cliff Lee trade. Nah, he said, the front office just shook hands and were pleased with their results.

Pressed again in a Sam Donnellon column today in which his players sang his praises, he still wouldn't bite:

Amaro was asked whether he'd received some congratulatory phone calls. He squirmed uneasily, then went on long and hard about all the help he received.

"We don't do this to receive congratulations," he said, finally. "We do this to win games, man."

Now, we just need the Phillies to keep winning games and the Red Sox to remember how to.

Today's news: We've been out of touch - we have had one of those home improvement days where we eat at 9 p.m. and are waiting for paint to dry at 10:30 so we can hang blinds and go to sleep. Needless to say, I had no idea John Smoltz was designated for assignment and Junichi Tazawa was called up until I logged on to post.

I found out for the first time the Red Sox and Yankees didn't score - they're in the 10th tied 0-0. I wish I saw this matchup between Josh Beckett and A.J. Burnett. Phillies lost to the Marlins 3-2. Panic grips Philly.

No comments: