Aug 27, 2009

Quotable SoxandPhils sluggers

The other day, I forgot to mention a quote that I just loved from Matt Stairs. He wants to play one more year for the Phillies and made his case why he deserves another year:

I'd like to be back, but that's a decision for the team. I'm inexpensive, and I don't complain that I don't play a lot.

While Stairs has been a fan favorite because of his key pinch hits (not so many this year), he's also likable because he's a rare average Joe in this era of athletes with super-sized egos. Who can't relate to wanting to earn $1+ million to sit on the bench, watch a game and chew on some sunflower seeds? You've got to love honesty from the big lug who has a history of being honest, if not the most cautious, with his comments.

The Red Sox big slugger, David Ortiz, also had a quote this week that was more like Stairs' famous postseason quote than his more recent one. Papi explained how Victor Martinez has motivated him this year:

Victor, man, he just push me, man. Every at-bat since he's been here, he just get in my face and start screaming at me and everything. I like it, I really like it. He gets me in the mood.

Eww.

But I guess I'd prefer Papi be turned on by our catcher than steroids.

Today's games: Billy Wagner is in Fenway, but unavailable tonight. (Brad Penny was released to make room for him.) B-Wags probably wouldn't be needed anyway; Junichi Tazawa couldn't follow up on his strong performance against the Yankees last week. He gave up nine runs in four innings. The White Sox lead the Red Sox 9-2 in the 5th.

The Phillies, behind J.A. Happ, lead the Pirates 2-1 in the 7th. Whose turn is it to blow a save tonight?

Hibiscus update: We have a full-fledged flower and more buds ready to bloom.

No comments: