Aug 15, 2009

Jamie Moyer for closer

We had a great summer Saturday with the usual bike riding (I exceeded 50 miles for the first time), lawn mowing, shopping and grilling. We sat down to watch just as Brad Lidge was coming in to try to save a 3-2 game.

It was uglier than usual for Mr. Used-to-be Perfect.

He started off giving up a single that Chase Utley should have fielded. Then, on a sacrifice bunt, Lidge wasn't satisfied with just bobbling the ball; he had to throw to first even though he had no chance at a play. Runner scored.

"Do you want to go for a walk now or wait until he gives up the final run?" I asked Christine after the Braves tied it.

She just groaned.

Lidge walked the next two batters, the first intentionally, then recorded a strikeout before giving up the game-ending hit. Braves 4, Phillies 3. Too bad because it wasted a solid outing by Cole Hamels.

During the carnage, Fox showed Jamie Moyer warming up in the bullpen. Obviously that was in case it went extra innings, but why not supplant Lidge with the old guy? He can't do worse, and even if he blows saves, somehow it won't be as gut-wrenching.

Oh, and for those clamoring for Brett Myers to close - there may be problems with that, too.

Young Brett had to miss a rehab start because of an eye injury he first claimed was from playing catch with his son Kolt, but then said was from getting out of his car after having two or three drinks with dinner.

"I know exactly what people are going to think," Myers said in a telephone interview Saturday evening with MLB.com.

In other words, they will think Myers was intoxicated.

Nah, who would think that?

"I wasn't drunk by any means. That's why I feel so stupid right now."

And that's why he said he initially told Brian Cammarota, who is the team's Minor League athletics trainers and rehabilitation coordinator, that he got hit in the eye with a baseball. But Myers said soon after the first call to Cammarota, Kim urged
him to call Cammarota back with the true story.

"I'm an idiot," Myers said. "I've never felt so frickin' embarrassed in my life. I feel like a total geek."

Really? Falling on your face is more embarrassing than being a national spectacle after domestic abuse allegations?

Red Sox: Saw most of the dramatic 9th inning comeback last night thanks to MLB Network. We may need a repeat tonight, as they trail the Rangers 4-2 in the 6th.

Personal: Months ago, I got rid of my blue Pedro Martinez T-shirt. Today, I happily put on my red Pedro T-shirt, Red Sox edition, thinking that it's kind of back in style. But it's way too big on me now. It's going in the Goodwill pile tomorrow. Christine says I should buy a Phillies version.

2 comments:

Matty said...

Right now, anyone would be better than Lidge. His history with the Astros supports his 2009 performance. With Houston, he would have a "lights out" season followed by a "I don't know what I'm doing" year. Check the stats for yourself.

Manuel consistently states that Lidge is his closer, and that's what he is paid for, and for those reasons will continue to use him to save games.

Problem is.......he's not saving games. He has the highest ERA among closers AND the most blown saves.

This is a business. And in this business called baseball, you play ( and manage ) to win. Period!!! You don't keep using Lidge in the 9th to save a game when he keeps demonstrating that he's going to blow the game. Forget the BS about showing confidence in him by continually running him out there in critical situations. Common sense and the need to win dictate that you use someone else.

Period!

Greg said...

I agree with pulling the plug on Lidge, I think too much is made of the "closer."

However, I've always felt too much has been made of Lidge's off-years in Houston. Even in his worst years, his numbers weren't that much worse than his good years.

This year is another story.