Nov 22, 2008

'Tis the season

One half of SoxandPhils went Christmas shopping today, and I'm all Christmassed up - ready to skip Thanksgiving to get to the main course.

Here are some of the baseball-related tidbits that I can share without giving away anything that Christine will find under the tree in a month:

--When in a sports collectibles store to look for discounted 2007 World Series swag ... er, to check out the latest in Phillies World Series merchandise, a middle-aged couple approached the counter.

"Do you have any David Wright shirts?" the man asked.

I smiled, bit my tongue and kept listening.

"No, but I might be able to order one," the proprietor said. "Child or adult?"

"Adult," the man answered unabashedly.

Poor guy. Doesn't he know they invented the Internet so you wouldn't have to order embarrassing shirts in enemy territory?

--At a big box electronics store, I looked to see if there were any Phillies DVDs out yet, but I saw a more interesting title: The 2006 Mets: The Team. The Time. Um, time for what? Choking against the Cardinals in the playoffs as a warm-up for two monumental regular-season collapses?

--One holiday-timed Phillies item caught my eye while waiting to check out - Gary Matthews' book, Phillies Confidential: The Untold Inside Story of the 2008 Championship Season. It's real small, and judging from a glance, it looks just as cheesy as one would expect a book by Sarge to be. I told Christine we'll wait for the movie to come out. {I wonder which has more details on the season - our blog or Sarge's book?}

--Finally, this wasn't at a store, but in the Major League Baseball holiday gift guide. A Yankees T-shirt says "Respect the dynasty." OK, everyone listen to the Yankees shirt and respect the SoxandPhils dynasty that won three of the last five championships.

The andPhils half of the blog is doing her shopping Monday. Maybe she'll come back with some similar stories.

No comments: