Nov 18, 2008

Dustin' off the mantle for a big trophy

Dustin Pedroia, the littlest big man in Boston, accomplished today what David Ortiz, Nomar Garciaparra, Pedro Martinez and even the great team leader Manny Ramirez could not. He became the first Red Sox since Mo Vaughn in 1995 to win the MVP.

He's a grinder and a true Dirt Dog who gets the most out of his ability. And, he has to be one of the most unexpected deserving MVPs.

Even knows he doesn't fit the prototype:

I'm not the biggest guy in the world. I don't have that many tools. If I'm walking down the street, you wouldn't think I'm a baseball player. I've had to deal with it my whole life. I have to do everything to prove [people] wrong.

Remarkably, just like some writer left Ryan Howard completely off the ballot, one person omitted Dustin MVPedroia. At least this guy, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, was gracious about it:

Obviously, I was wrong in my opinion in this situation. This year, I think I may have tended to value power numbers over the intangibles. I may have focused too much on the statistical analysis. As I continued to weigh that, Dustin dropped further and further on my list, but I think what was proven today was that I was wrong.

The guy who hosed Howard wouldn't say anything.

I had a good feeling Pedroia would win. It was cinched for me this morning when Mike and Mike unveiled his MVP song, "Dustin Will Win" to "Dust in the Wind." I've loved that song since it was featured in Old School.

[Photo credit: Associated Press]

No comments: