Nov 11, 2008

No playoffs, no MVP

I'll jump the gun and skip past tomorrow's likely snub of Charlie Manuel for Manager of the Year to Monday's likely snub of Ryan Howard for MVP. Admittedly, I'm not sure he deserves it. Even Jayson Stark noted today that the Philadelphia baseball writers chose Brad Lidge as the team's MVP.

I'm not certain Albert Pujols, Howard's biggest competitor, is deserving either. Let me quote an expert: "Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

Who said that? Stark? Peter Gammons? Bill James? Nope. How about Mr. Pujols when he was upset Howard won the award in 2006? Bingo.

If Howard wins it, I want Pujols to offer the congratulations he failed to give two years ago. If Pujols wins, I'd like to see him decline the award since the Cardinals finished four games out of the playoffs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Howard played deep into October.

Meanwhile, despite the three dolts who thought Edinson Volquez qualified for Rookie of the Year and some of the Gold Glove selections, the writers got another award correct today: Tim Lincecum won the Cy Young and he's the cover boy of MLB 2K9. Lidge came in fourth. The Phils best pitcher, Cole Hamels, didn't get a vote.

No comments: