Nov 13, 2008

Keystone debate

Chase Utley and Dustin Pedroia were the only SoxandPhils to win the Silver Slugger today. Each started the All-Star game. Pedroia, a favorite to win the MVP, also won the Gold Glove, and many thought Utley should have won it, too.

It's clear that the Red Sox and Phillies have the best second basemen in the game. It's time to see who is best. The thought that Pedroia could compare with Utley is still strange to me. Utley has clearly been the best at his position for several years, and it's still hard to picture Pedroia as anything but an overachieving dirt dog.

I know I'm judging what could be Pedroia's best year to one of Utley's poorer years, but they had comparable seasons. Pedroia's averages were .326/.376/.493 to Utley's .292/.380/.535. They both displayed some speed and power, though Pedroia had an edge in stolen bases and doubles; Utley had the edge in home runs. The big thing I come back to is Pedroia was 24 this year; Utley, 29.

I guess I'd still take Utley for the next season or two, but Pedroia is closer than I thought and should overtake Utley for the class of the position in a few years. Of course, each of these players values a World Series victory more than any individual ranking or award.

Final Pedroia thought: I've had Hava Nagila in my head all day because of Mike & Mike's MVP song for Pedroia.

Final award thought: Daisuke Matsuzaka (I haven't had to spell his name in a while. I'm out of practice) came in fourth in the Cy Young voting. Neither he nor Jon Lester deserved to finish much higher than that, but I would have thought Lester would have garnered more votes. I know, the dolty writers like shiny objects and gaudy win-loss records.

No comments: