Jun 29, 2011

We don't need Oswalt, Contreras and Madson

The Red Sox-Phillies series has been billed as a World Series preview. Hitting vs. pitching.

That's not the way it's working out.

Last night, Cliff Lee dominantly shut down the Sox. Tonight, it was Vance Worley, Michael Stutes and Antonio Bastardo. Wait - what?

Yes, the trio of young Phillies pitchers shut down the Sox 2-1. I thought the Phillies would have had an offensive explosion against John Lackey, but the only offense came courtesy of Raul Ibanez.

And I don't want to hear any excuses about Carl Crawford being hurt or not having a DH. The Phillies have had their fair share of position players hurt this year. And oh yeah, if not for Lackey tonight, the Red Sox still wouldn't have a run.

Tomorrow afternoon is Jon Lester vs. Cole Hamels. Yet another good matchup. But I doubt David Ortiz will start, and the rest of the Sox lineup is a bit lacking right now. I'm sure it will blow up in my face, but I'm feeling good about Cole getting his 10th win of the year.

Wardrobe: When I was picking out Trent's clothes for tomorrow, I refrained from going with Phillies gear. Though he might have to go with celebratory red-white-and-blue on Friday - for the 4th of July, of course, not because he has an adorable red Phillies jersey with matching blue shorts.

No comments: