Nov 7, 2010

There was news last night

Christine questioned if I was neglectful of my blogging duties last night. When I drafted last night's post, I told her there was no SoxandPhils news for the day. And there wasn't. But by the time she had a minute to edit my post, David Murphy had this sad news about Jamie Moyer:

Dionisio Soldevila, a journalist in the Dominican Republic, reported via Twitter that Moyer left a game today with pain in the elbow. Moyer has been pitching for Escogido in winter league ball in the Dominican in an attempt at preparing himself for spring training, when he hopes to compete for a starting job somewhere in the majors. Moyer, who joined the Phillies midway through the 2006 season, was unlikely to return as a free agent.

Soldevila said that Escogido general manager Moises Alou told him that Moyer's injury is probably career-ending. Soldevila also said that Moyer is scheduled to visit Dr. Lewis Yocum in California. That's all the information I have at the moment. Moyer turns 48 on Nov. 18.

I wish there really weren't any news last night because this is a downer.

I have nothing to add, other than this irony first noted by Christine: The guy giving the prognosis on the end of J-Moy's remarkable career debuted four years after Moyer and had a solid 17-year career before retiring in 2008 at the age of 41.

No comments: