Nov 1, 2010

Coaching carousel

Well, the Phillies lost their first star over a contract dispute. It's not Jayson Werth, but Davey Lopes. It's kind of surprising, especially to hear a solid baseball man like Lopes pretty much say it's all about the money:

Lopes, 65, had been offered a one-year contract, but the two sides weren't able to agree on a salary.

"We just had a difference of opinion on what I felt my worth was," Lopes said by telephone. "That's all. It was a really tough decision because I loved my time in Philadelphia, I loved working for [manager] Charlie Manuel, and I have the utmost respect for everyone in that organization."

The Red Sox also lost a valuable member of their staff this offseason, but John Farrell left on much better terms to manage the Blue Jays. Curt Young is the early favorite to replace him.

Meanwhile, former Nationals coach Pat Listach, who was neither Sox nor Phil but is a big fan of Lady Pha Pha, was named bench coach of the Cubs.

2 comments:

Matty said...

The media only publicizes the salaries of the managers. You never hear what the coaching staff makes. Any ideas?

Greg said...

Actually, I do. I heard Davey interviewed on local ESPN radio last night. He said they don't even earn the players' minimum, which is $400,000. So I guess coaches probably earn around $200,000, which is then really puzzling because there's not much wiggle room to be haggling with a coach over.