Apr 7, 2010

A look back

Last night, there was a commercial for some baseball broadcast package that used "choose your announcer" as a selling point.

When Christine repeated the line to me, I assumed she was referring to the fact that I was taking advantage of the Extra Innings free preview and had switched to the Red Sox broadcast.

Nope, she was just lamenting the fact that we're still stuck with Chris Wheeler this year.

And then, sure enough, this morning the Inquirer ran a story about the anniversary of Harry Kalas' death with a look back at his last day in the Washington Nationals broadcast booth:

If there was one consolation amid the red-hued grief that day it was that Kalas had died doing what he loved, in a ballpark.

"That was a very strange, weird day," said (Phillies broadcast manager Rob) Brooks. "I got home that night at 1 or 2 in the morning, and at that point I started to review the day and realize the enormity of what happened. I think I did OK. I don't know if there was something I could have done to create a different outcome.

"But I talked to [Kalas' son] Todd that evening, and we both came to the conclusion that had the efforts to revive him worked, he probably would have been angry because he would have been away from the yard for three or four months. That probably would have been unacceptable to him. For Harry, if you can't do what you love, why be here?"

Tonight's games: While we knew we would not hear Harry tonight, Christine is actually disappointed we're not hearing Wheels. She thought this would be the first night we got to watch a Phillies game, but they're pre-empted on Comcast SportsNet because of the 76ers. What a crock.

"I can't believe you're going to get to watch the Red Sox three times before I see the Phillies once," she said.

Sure enough, I'm watching the Sox on Extra Innings. (Phillies are blacked out locally on the package.)

The Red Sox, behind John Lackey, lead the Yankees 1-0 in the 7th. David Ortiz drove in a run, which should calm him down and dispel concern that he would go oh-for-the-season.

The Phillies, behind, or despite, Cole Hamels, lead the Nationals 6-3 in the 6th. Judging from the box score, this doesn't look like 2008 Hamels.

The Phillies play a late afternoon game tomorrow, so I hope Christine gets to see half of their game at least.

No comments: