Mar 8, 2010

I want a recount

In making the case that Charlie Manuel is the best Phillies manager ever, Paul Hagen was a little too quick to dismiss a man who has one more ring than Cholly - the one, the only, Terry Francona:

Sorry, Tito, you're the first to go. We always knew you had the right stuff to succeed, but you never had a chance here. The front office raised expectations with a "Bring It On" slogan your last season without giving you the talent to back it up. Then-general manager Ed Wade has since said firing you was the biggest mistake he ever made. But we can't give you credit for what you did after you left. Especially in Boston. Remember, this is a National League game.

Seriously, I can't argue with this, and I'm actually surprised to see a writer from Philly speak so well of Francona. I thought he was unfairly loathed. And we're always glad to see a reference to Bring It On - a classically cheesy Phillies slogan.

If former Phillies got to vote for their favorite manager, I think Pat Burrell, who misses Philadelphia, would pick Cholly:

"I don't know if there is any way of saying this without getting myself in trouble," Burrell said. "But there is definitely a different excitement level [in Philadelphia]. I think more than anything, there is a stronger tradition for baseball there. That goes without saying."

I'm certain Chan Ho Park would vote for Chuck:

"Say hi to Charlie for me. Tell him he's the best manager I've ever played for."

So Cholly is the best Phillies manager ever. Terry will have to settle for being the best Red Sox manager.

2 comments:

Matty said...

Best manager? Ever?? Hmmmmm.

If you take a nobody who knows nothing about baseball, and make him the manager of a great baseball team, all he has to do is fill out the lineup card and the team will win. Do we credit the manager for winning, when the team is already a winner?

The real talent is in making a winner out of a team that isn't so great. I'll put Sawyer and Mauch ahead of Cholly.

Greg said...

Wow, still longing for Jim Leyland? When I first starting reading your comment, I thought you were harping on Francona because the criticism is similar.

Both of them did inherit a lot of talent, but both had to instill confidence in their teams to push them past a culture of losing and negativity.